Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Big Money for Nerding

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a kid from Indiana won the National Spelling Bee tonight... and its $35,000 cash prize.  When I was in the finals in 1980 and 1981, the winner took home $1000.  Those of us in the middle of the pack took home checks for $50.  We also weren't televised, because people back then had enough sense not to put pitiful nerds on national TV.  Like everything else, now it's big business, complete with mini-features to tell the contestants' "back stories".  My back story?  "F*** off, I'm a lonely geek.  I study spelling words at lunch because I'm afraid of people yet crave their approval. My best time for solving my Rubik's cube is 1:06.  My hobbies include getting angry at basketball games.  Is that enough background for you?"   Ah, the good old days...

No comments: