Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pickup

Gotta pick myself up.  Gotta pick myself up.  Gotta pick myself up.  I'm letting myself fall apart lately, and I don't like it.  Big as a whale, slow as a snail.


This is looking like a fairly positive week, really.  My group interview for my class project was a glorious failure - failure in the sense that the students failed to construct the mathematics that I hoped they would, but glorious in the sense that I have a lot of rich data to analyze, data that might shed some light on what was happening and why they were failing.  I feel like most of my goals for the activity were met, but there was a clear and well-defined place where they simply could NOT make the leap they needed to make.  Maybe these kinds of activities are good for creating knowledge in the sense of creating new connections between existing cognitive structures, but not so good for building radically new structures from scratch.  Hard to say, but the analysis will be much more fun than if they had simply "gotten it right".


OK, after a break, I'm back with a double (or triple) scotch on the rocks (Ardbeg 10yo).  I also uploaded more pics on Facebook, for no apparent reason.  About 10 days ago I lost an uncle-in-law, so my Facebook upload started with a quest to find and upload a pic of Gary.  Good man, hard to beat as an uncle-in-law.  He now joins his beloved wife Karen, who lost her third or fourth battle with cancer a few years ago at age 51.


I think I'll go add some captions.

No comments: